Age 101, of Bloomington. Herman J. Gerhardt, Sr., 83, of Russell, Kansas, passed away Sunday, March 17, 2019, at Wheatland Nursing Center in Russell. But instead of naming his elder son and namesake as CEO as expected, he chose his youngest son, Michael. However, I believe the most important part of Mr. Russells legacy is what we dont see in that he built himself up from the bottom to ultimately serve as a role model for so many Atlantans of all races. Im always confused on occasions like this, Young said. We should pray to have even a fraction of the impact he had on the lives of others! The world is immeasurably better because of Herman J. Russell, said Atlanta City Council President Ceasar C. Mitchell As humble as he was, I think he would be thrilled that a movie about his life would air on Delta flights around the world, said Herman J. Russells son, Michael B. Russell, CEO, H. J. Russell & Company. Visit hjrussell.com to learn more about the firm. What surprised me the most was that Herman was speaking at all, Jordan said because of Russells speech impediment. Russell was the founder and retired CEO of H.J . He built a duplex on the parcel of land he purchased for $125 at age 16 and used his savings to help pay his tuition at Tuskegee University. Herman was not just a great man, but, sorry Evander (Holyfield), he was the real deal, Perry said. It also was Russell who wrote checks to pay the bail of students arrested after sit-ins at lunch counters in the South during the civil rights movement, said Jordan. Russells grandchildren also spoke, remembering the lessons he taught them about hard work and how he demonstrated so much passion in everything he did that he made shredding paper even seem exciting. Herman J. Russell, who founded Atlanta-based H. J. Russell & Company in 1952 and Concessions International, LLC, in 1979, is known for helping to build the Atlanta skyline as it's seen today as well as for shaping the airport dining experience for travelers throughout the country and the U. S. Virgin Islands. By clicking Sign Up, I confirmthat I have read and agreeto the Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. He replaced dilapidated low-income housing with mixed-income communities near the Atlanta University Center. Nathan Deal, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and the Metro Atlanta Chamber, of which Russell was a former leader, preceded dozens of quotes in tribute. Perry said you judge a generation by the generation that follows it. When she stayed with him about a month ago for a few days, he still made an extra effort to pray by his bedside every night. He helped get them elected., His speech impediment was an asset, Egbert Perry, a protege of Russells and now CEO of development firm The Integral Group, once told the AJC. Rev. Lastly, did one pass on peacefully and with grace. I also had a stuttering problem at that time. (Left)Michael B. Russell& Jerome Russell(Right). Russell used the profits from his shoeshine business to buy a vacant lot, and then built a residential duplex, all while he was still a teenager. As we worked on Mr. Russells own story we quickly saw that he built more than buildings; he built relationships. Ever the enterprising adolescent, Russell used the revenue from his teen businesses to fully finance his expensive education at the private HBCU Tuskegee Universityin Alabama. 1986: Constructs Atlanta Gas Light Headquarters. However, his beginnings were humble. H.J. Part business generator, innovation lab, and museum, RICE invests in Black entrepreneurs, strengthens businesses, and creates community. Details about his funeral arrangements are pending. Founded in 1952, H. J. Russell & Company is one of the largest minority-owned construction services and real estate development firms in the United States. He was the first black member of what was then called the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and the second African-American to serve as its president. They picked Herman first, and then we were brought in. Michael Russell Sr., from left, Donata Ross, and Jerome Russell Source: Black PR Wire More than six years after his death at 83, Russell's three children, Michael Russell Sr., 56; Jerome. Learn how your comment data is processed. He was a powerbroker who helped transform not just the skyline of one of the countrys greatest cities; he helped redeem the soul of America. Builder Robert Holder said he and Herman Russell were born about 30 days of each other and about four miles apart, but it might as well have been two different worlds. By the time of his retirement in 1997, Russell had . That entrepreneurial spirit was passed on through his legacy to his children and grandchildren. When are the 2023 college graduation ceremonies in Georgia? Russell & Company, Russell was also a formidable community and civic leader, as well as author of his recently released autobiography, Building Atlanta: How I Broke Through Segregation to Launch a Business Empire. His legacy will live on in the projects he built, the family he raised, and the people he touched throughout his life., Ernest Greer, chairman of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and vice president and Atlanta managing shareholder at law firm Greenberg Traurig, He was one of the Giants of our time. Here are several highlights of the remembrances that were shared. The company has annual sales of more than $150 million and employs 700. Hermans spirit permeated the community. Joseph Lowery said he saw Russell during former President Bill Clintons recent visit to Atlanta before the Nov. 4 election, and that Russell said he was not feeling well. He was working for a residential developer at the time. During my friendship with Herman for more than 50 years, following the founding of the historic Atlanta Inquirer, we were mentor and mentee in the early years; however, as we grew within Atlanta, he became more than just a mentor and friend. The Russell empire also includes Concessions International, a hospitality company that operates the famed Paschals Restaurant in Castleberry Hill and restaurants in airports across the country, including Atlantas Hartsfield-Jackson International. Along with a myriad of other community and corporate boards, Russell, after retiring in 2003 from his company, continued to be an in demand speaker with business classes, as well as for various corporate settings, channeling his business acumen to future business owners and leaders for the growth and economic advancement. A native of Atlanta, Herman J. Russell was an accomplished tradesman by the age of 12 having learned the plastering business from his father, Rogers Russell. Soon, Russell branched out from construction and property management businesses by adding communications, concessions, and sports franchises to his portfolio. Preceded in death by husband, Edmund. Russell bought his first piece of land when he was 16 for $125. [9], "Herman J. Russell built legacy in Atlanta", "International Civil Rights: Walk of Fame Herman J. Russell", "Atlanta business icon Herman J. Russell has died", "Herman Jerome Russel (1930- ), Business Mogul, Community Leader, Philanthropist", "BUILDING ATLANTA by Herman J. Russell , Bob Andelman", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Herman_J._Russell&oldid=1114763061, This page was last edited on 8 October 2022, at 04:13. [1][2][3][4][5] He founded H. J. Russell & Company, the largest minority-owned real estate and construction business in the United States. 545 N.W. Russell loved sharing his inspirational life story with others and frequently regaled listeners with account of how he overcame racism, poverty, and a debilitating speech impediment to become one of the most successful African American entrepreneurs, and unsung heroes of the civil rights movement. Here's a few of their responses: The entire community mourns the passing of Herman Russell. Office: (954) 525-1489 His obsession with Prince, Spike Lee movies, Hamilton and the New York Yankees is odd. Since 1952, H. J. Russell & Companys commitment to strengthening Americas foundation through entrepreneurship, empowerment and excellence has propelled the company to legendary success. Russell, chairman/CEO of H. J. Russell & Co., was born on December 23, 1930, in Atlanta, one of seven childrenof Maggie and Rogers Russell. He bought his first piece of land at 16 years old," Michael B. Russell said about his father. His legacy in our region is well established, and while Atlanta has lost a builder, developer and philanthropist, I have lost a dear friend. He left an indelible mark on Atlanta and the world. Grandson H. Jerome Russell Jr. said his grandfather didnt play favorites with employees. Turnout was so large that the church directed traffic to two overflow parking lots to handle the crowds that kept coming even after services had begun. When will I get my Georgia tax rebate for 2023? Herman had to make a speech, Jordan said, and his speech impediment made Russell difficult to understand. He also said there was no entitlement in the Russell household. Russell Co. and the other family interests to his children. Nine months after Atlanta business icon Herman J. Russell died in November 2014, his three children received a letter from lawyers representing Joycelyn Alston of New York. Russell Plastering Company with his father. Would he pick it up or let it sit there at the bottom of the bowl? The Great Depression heavily influenced company founder, Herman J. Russell (1930-2014). Russell also told him that he wanted Vernon Jordan to speak at his service. I remember watching my father on the side of the bed on his knees and pray, Donata Major said. Today, the Atlanta-based H. J. Russell and Company is a nationally recognized leader in the construction and real estate development industry, as well as the single largest Minority Business Enterprise real estate firm in the United States. Hundreds packed Saint Philip AME Church on Candler Road in east Atlanta to say goodbye to Russell, who died Nov. 15 at age 83. He bought his first parcel of land for $125 at age sixteen, later building a duplex on the property. 1938: Starts first business shining shoes. Bernice A. Russell told him it was getting up in the morning and going to work. He, along with Atlanta University student leaders Julian Bond, Charlayne (Hunter) Gault, Charles Black, Lonnie King, Jr., Johnny Parham, Marian Wright and local businessman Jesse Hill, Jr., Dr. Clinton E. Warner, Gladys Powell, Hilda Wilson and others, Russell founded, in 1960, The Atlanta Inquirer, a member of the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA) the Black Press of America during the height of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.-led Civil Rights Movement. Maria received her Masters degree in urban studies from GeorgiaState and her Bachelors degree in journalism from Boston University. An avid supporter of Atlanta and its youth, Russell is the founder of the Herman J. Russell Entrepreneurial Scholarship Foundation for an Atlanta elementary school. He made an indelible mark on the city of Atlanta and the nation and he will be deeply missed.. He had a good mind and sharp pencil., Andrew Young, former Atlanta Mayor and ambassador to the United Nations, He is one of the best men our city has ever produced. Khalil said he took the job even going back to ask for $250 more a month so he could make his car payments because he knew he would learn and eventually earn much more than he was giving up under Russells tutelage. He used his talents and experience and hard work to have one of the most successful businesses and African-American businesses in the city and the country, she said. Zane Major Jr., the son of Donata Russell Major Russells oldest child, called his grandfather the most influential person my life who kept the family together. November 20, 2014 "He was elated and proud of the fact that he was able to share his legacy with others and, most importantly, his grandchildren. The letter said. Today, our city lost one of the best men it has ever produced. He left a lasting legacy that will be remembered for years to come.said Atlanta City Councilmember C.T. Herman J. Russell, an entrepreneur and philanthropist who turned a small plastering firm into one of the most successful African-American-owned real estate development and construction. Over the years, the Holders and the Russells became close friends as well as business partners. Several of his grandchildren participated in the service. The Summerhill native owned several businesses throughout his career, starting at age 16 when he purchased a dilapidated home for $125. He was not just a local businessman, but a visionary and one of the men who built Atlanta as we know it today. He is one of the heroes of Atlantas story, a real life legend to now aspire to. Atlanta City Councilmember Michael Julian Bond. Russell, a lifelong Atlantan who counted among his friends several presidents and the Rev. Senator Vincent Fort (@Senatorfort) November 15, 2014, R. I.P. U.S. Rep. John Lewis [D-Ga.] said, Herman J. Russell was one of the founding fathers of the new Atlanta. And he leaves people searching for the right words to summarize the indelible impact the legendary businessman, philanthropist and civic leader made on the maturation of the city of Atlanta as a power player on the national and international landscape. In 1963, Russell became the first black member, and later president, of the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. I am at peace.. He released his autobiography, Building Atlanta: How I Broke Through Segregation to Launch a Business Empire, last April. For Michael Russell Jr., he said he would remember the passion of his grandfather and how he understood a tight-knit family is rare.. Herman Russell was a remarkable gentleman and I greatly appreciate the work he did in District 10. He was a great citizen, a great business man and a brother. Russell is survived by his wife, Sylvia, sons H. Jerome and Michael Russell, daughter Donata Russell Major, two stepsons and eight grandchildren. Required fields are marked *. Dar'shun Kendrick (@DarshunKendrick) November 15, 2014, The country has lost a GIANT, Herman J. Russell. The firm is a partner in the joint venture selected to build the new $1 billion Atlanta Falcons stadium, scheduled to open in 2017. Returning to Atlanta after college, he worked . He was willing to sacrifice for the good of the community, Lowery said. During this time, the company reported annual sales estimated at $150 million, with project offices in several cities from Miami, Florida, to New York City. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 1982: Constructs Georgia-Pacific Headquarters. These are the reasons along with a slew others that cavalcades of dignitaries, civil leaders and politicians are streaming into Atlanta to pause and pay homage to one of the pillars of modern Atlanta. All rights reserved. Copyright 2023. Herman Russell known city- , state- and nationwide for his formidable business knowledge and acumen has received many plaudits since his passing on Nov. 15. Ernie Suggs is an enterprise reporter covering race and culture for the AJC since 1997. As Atlanta natives, we pride ourselves on telling stories of some of the most consequential figures in our citys and states history through film, and it was particularly rewarding to be able to create a documentary about an Atlanta icon who quietly and fearlessly did so much to help create the Atlanta we know today, said co-director, David Duke of Living Stories Film & Video. 1972: Becomes 10 percent owner of Atlanta Hawks basketball and Atlanta Flames hockey teams, the first African-American to have ownership in a major sports franchise. Andrew Young (@AmbAndrewYoung) November 15, 2014, Today, we lost one of the founding fathers of modern Atl in Mr. H.J. "When history catches its breath, Mr. Russell's life work will place him among the most significant heroes of the Civil Rights Movement because of his unwavering contributions and commitment to the progress of this city and nation. You will remember his hugs, his wisdom. The previous decades introduction of the requirement of including minority-owned subcontractors with companies seeking city contracts resulted in a new decade of continued growth and the recognition of the visionary leadership of Herman J. Russell in Atlanta and beyond. FOX 5s Deidra Dukes sat down with H.J. I was an obnoxious, over-educated, arrogant, illegal immigrant..

What A Tangled Web We Weave Full Poem, Articles H