At one point, Tony gets up to grab some drinks. He died of a supposed heart attack in 1958 while at his favorite diner, cooking food for his men. Paulie remembers a lot of details about important events. LONG VERSION- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HN96pzo2X4MYSTERY SOLVED. Before I get to the finale I want to make another very blatant point that I never see people discuss about the connection to the Godfather. When Paulie says, Jesus! For Tony Soprano, there is no betrayal worse than working as an informant for the F.B.I. While Tony is having a drink with Beansie, he brings up his concerns about Paulies habit of talking too much. He dragged Paulie out into the middle of the sea and made him fear for his life. Theres a brief scene shortly after the Many Saints credits start where we see Leslie Odom Jr.s character Harold McBrayer. He runs a small illegal lottery yet imagines beating a woman will impress the most powerful Mafia don in New York with respect to his own power. Claire Foy and Paul Bettany tease 'messy' new season of 'A Very British Scandal.' However, after a few seconds of contemplation, he decides against it. Why did Michael Corleone not forgive his brother Fredo? As it turns out, several of Tony's closest allies betrayed him. Carlo Rizzi was a punk sore at the world. (In the DESCRIPTION).MYSTERY SOLVED. Later Doc Santoro was shot in the eye and the chest multiple times by hired muscle working for Butch DeConcini. I came too late for that and I know. Embedded hyperlinks in a thesis or research paper. Paulie also conveniently only takes the construction job in the finale AFTER Tony offers it to Patsy first. Its hard to see why either Paulie or Carlo would expect to profit from these plots, even if they expected to get away with it, as seems very unlikely under the circumstances. Reddit community dedicated to the HBO hit TV series, The Sopranos, and movie, The Many Saints of Newark. I'd just like to comment on this: There is ample evidence that neither Paulie nor Carlo is especially bright. He's highly compulsive and punches well above his weight without thinking, if he were even capable of doing so. Sonny apparently suspects Paulie because Paulies absence on the day of the hit on Vito seems implausible as a coincidence. Paulie may have been a lot of things, including neurotic, stingy, murderous, and overly talkative, but the wing-tipped mobster never considered flipping on his chosen family and "the life" for a single second. Yes. He also became known as one of Sopranos closest advisers, counseling him through tough decisions. But never say never. RELATED:The Sopranos: 7 Saddest Things About Christopher (& 3 That Made Fans Hate Him). Later on, Tony decides to bring up the Ralph Cifaretto joke. Ralph is undoubtedly the most unhinged mobster to appear in the series. In many ways, Junior was a father figure for Tony. Fourteen years after The Sopranos went off the air in the most polarizing end scene in television history, we finally get a chance to revisit the legendary characters from the award-winning HBO series. +Later in the episode, while on the boat, Paulie CLEARLY is nervous about being killed by Tony for talking to NY being that he has a flashback of shooting, looting, and dumping Pussys dead body for betraying Tony. Tony then took Christopher's life after they were involved in a car accident - Chris's loyalty to Tony means nothing to him. That makes sense. After watching the show multiple times I've started to think that Paulie Walnuts sold Tony and Sil out at the end of the show, leading to Tonys death. Fictional mob boss Tony Soprano, the protagonist of the HBO series The Sopranos, is said to be based upon Palermo. It is clear that he has been sitting there and stewing over whether Paulie has loose lips or not. In the pilot, Tony burns down Artie's restaurant to prevent Uncle Junior from committing a crime at Vesuvio. In other words, did Paulie and Carlo really do the things for which they were killed. They have no reason to suspect that they were themselves suspected. In other words, did Paulie and Carlo really do the things for which they were killed. I love Paulie; hes easily the funniest character and arguably the overall best character behind Tony but I am stunned that more fans dont see how blatantly David Chase lays it out throughout the entire series that he will ultimately turn on Tony. Tony often feared that a member of his crew wouldturn on him. Would Genco's behavior in the theatre have made his being consigliere unlikely? Of course, Livia didn't feel the same way and felt betrayed. I'll start with Paulie because he's the simplest to cover. Tony can be indecisive when he has to take action against close friends and associates. 20 Who betrayed Tony Soprano? From the opening scene its essentially about the old times vs. the new times (we see Tony with Hair!) Tony Soprano and Artie Bucco were childhood friends. +The scene outside of Satriales where Paulie takes the Construction job is probably the most damning in the episode. In season four, Tony tries to take advantage of Artie, and they have a temporary falling out. During their conversation, he tells her that Paulie used to work for his father. In this episode, the amount of references that point to Tony being shot and killed are so numerous I wont even list them here we all know them and I dont think I need to convince you that Members Only guy came out of the bathroom to shoot Tony in the back of the head in a silent replacement of the tree cracking sound in the mirrored final scene from the Season 1 Finale. RELATED: The Sopranos: 10 Times Someone Was Killed In Broad Daylight He is fully aware that his life might be in danger. The Many Saints of Newark is a prequel story set in the Sopranos universe, albeit about 30 years earlier than where the series began. He hoped the old bastard croaked. While they are out at sea, Tony starts to accuse Paulie of leaking the Ralph Cifaretto joke. Once we accept that ending we have to ask things like Who sent him and how did he know Tony was there? Johnny even implied to Paulie that Tony might have to go, and that could work out for Paulie. There are certainly more stories that could be told in the three decades between The Many Saints of Newark and the start of The Sopranos. Each character was ready and willing to double-cross the others. u/gobartlett thinks nobody coming to his mother's funeral was the final insult: "I feel like this was the last straw in Paulie's eyes and the decision was made then and there to support Phil from inside Tony's crew.". He had been fixed up with a nice little business and was running it into the ground. Now, I know what at least half of you are thinking already. (Indeed, perhaps no one knew outside of Junior and the trigger man.). +Names are important and I find it very interesting that the only two characters left at the end are PATSY which has obvious connotation and Paulie who shares the name with the traitor in The Godfather. Its pretty obvious but I feel like no one discusses this when trying to figure out what the ending scene means. By the end of the fourth season, Tony and Carmela separate after Tonys former mistress Irina Peltsin calls the Soprano home, talks to A.J., and informs Carmela that Tony slept with Irinas cousin and Junior Sopranos nurse, Svetlana Kirilenko. "Leave the gun, take the cannoli". Believing Valery is dead after Paulie chokes him with a lamp, they took Valery out into the Pine Barrens to dispose of him. (Apart from being a petty thug, and an all-around nasty little man.) He also edits and writes articles for the IronSet blog where he shares his experiences. The pair then go back to sitting in silence. Shot in the forehead by Paulie for operating a drug business within DiMeo family territory. Tony had a complex relationship with his mother, Livia Soprano. TLDR At the end of the day, there are just too many shots, storylines, and events focused on Paulie that didnt have to be. We see Paulie using a tanning reflector to soak up all of the Sun (the way a Boss would) with his EYES CLOSED facing the street. One of the most senior members of his crew just cant seem to keep his mouth closed. The TV series only ever revealed a handful of details about Tony's life in the '80s and early '90s, such as the time Paulie Gualtieri helped Tony make his first sanctioned kill and become a made man in 1982. Sirico reportedly racked up a total of 28 arrests in his younger life, even if he was only convicted twice (via Uproxx). Edit: I tried to format this but the machine went bullshit but the substance still stands capiche? Santino may have been a "hothead" but not a stupid one. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Paulie asks Pussy, when my time comes will I stand up? This is both great specific word selection, being that Pussys last words were asking Tony if he could sit down, and a great way for Chase to show us for once whats actually inside Paulies head behind all of the machismo. Later on, while everyone is reminiscing about the good old days, Paulie talks about a hippy who mysteriously drowned at a party. So many important scenes in the Sopranos are direct homages to the Godfather films and the connections cant be overstated. He is one of the few guys who is unharmed and he seems to feel perfectly safe tanning outside of Satriales during the War. Andrey knows everything from warm-up to hard workout. He KNOWS he was never on Phils hit list and he KNOWS that he is safe. Assuming Michael Gandolfini has any continued interest in reprising the Tony role, that would make for a compelling spinoff movie. All 4 of them openly betray Tony in some form and in some cases attempt a literal coup to have Tony killed. The thing is, the question of Haydus complicity in Dickies death has remained an open question for the past two decades. Tony was shot from a three o'clock direction. Despite being close like brothers, Jimmy turned on Johnny and helped the F.B.I. still, that scene delivered one of the coldest lines in movie/mob history. Of course, the Family's perception was quite different.. And Carlo Rizzi was turning out to be a real loser. Valery, who was later revealed to be a former commando in the Soviet military, was still alive, and knocked both Paulie and Christopher to the ground with a shovel. Paulie and Carlo - Carlo especially - are prime examples. +The shot David Chase chose to end this scene with is, in my opinion, a slam dunk for this theory. She died by episode 2 (Provai, Livushka), after which the characters did their best to mourn Livia. Of course, the relationship wasn't always perfect, and they had their fair share of problems. Another time, Junior falls and injures his back, and spots Dickie laughing at his misfortune. Also left unanswered, and likely well never know the truth to this, is whether Tony ever knew that his beloved Uncle Dickie was offed by his not-so-beloved Uncle Junior. The movie shows us the early origins of Tony's rise to power, but how did he evolve from teen slacker to underboss of the DiMeo crime family? And thats kind of how The Sopranos always worked, didnt it? Sirico originally auditioned for the role of Uncle Junior with Frank Vincent, but Dominic Chianese landed the role. Once married into the Corleone Family, hed been shunted aside with a small bookmakers business on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Eventually, he worked his way up through the DiMeo crime family, reaching the rank of Captain in 2000, shortly after Anthony "Tony" Soprano became Boss of New Jersey. Its hard to see why either Paulie or Carlo would expect to profit from these plots, even if they expected to get away with it, as seems very unlikely under the circumstances. We all remember the name of the character in the original Godfather movie that betrays Don Corleone and sets him up to be shot from behind right? When Beansie and Paulie ask Tony why he is being so quiet, he gets stroppy and tells them that its because Remember When is the lowest form of conversation. Was Paulie from sopranos a real gangster? David Chase decided to make the cat specifically single out Paulie all episode. Tonys face after he backs out of his plan. And Fredo, who was present during the hit on Vito, was not able to prevent it (although he actually wanted to prevent it), and he was not hurt in the shooting; so apparently Paulie could also have been present, and not prevented the hit on Vito (if conspiring with the assassins), and not got hurt in the shooting. After Paulie holds up his hands and says kill me now, Tony looks down and says nothing. For instance, Tony runs the DiMeo crime family, and Arite owns Vesuvio Restaurant. Was it not immediately very obvious that Carlo was responsible for Sonny's death? Andrey is a coach, sports writer and editor. Then chase lays it on thick Tony aggressively asks, has he ever really been put to the test?and Beansie has no answer. It's likewise hard to see why they would not try to disappear from Corleoneville if they were somehow forced to facilitate the Corleone deaths for which theyre later blamed. He's relatively low-level in the Corleone organisation but still trusted after 'making his bones' Paulie as yet had not become rich. But we cant know for certain. Of course, the series featured betrayal after betrayal, as the world of crime often does. The movie closes with a callback to one of Christopher's most tragic lines from the TV series when he refers to Tony as "the man I went to Hell for.". Throughout the series, several characters who betray or attempt to betray their respective families are wearing the same pair of laceless white shoes. At the factual level, are these suspicions warranted? Indeed, Johnny even made Jimmy his consigliere. Yes. Paulie. Like Ralph, Richie is impulsively violent. Young Junior (played by Corey Stoll) shares many of the characteristics we saw in his elder version on The Sopranos. Will there be more Sopranos, either as another feature-length prequel movie or a continuation of the TV series itself? That combination led him to call for Dickies execution. Indeed, they seemed like the only couple to care for the other. Director Alan Taylor told NME that Edie Falco actually reprised her role as an older Carmela Soprano in a scene that was ultimately cut from the final edit. Disclaimer: All copyrights belong to HBO.Monetization is disabled on this channel.I don't make a profit from uploading this content and I never will, I am ju. Remember back to Funhouse when Tony can literally Feel it in his stomach that Pussy is betraying him and goes with the faade of buying the boat to kill him. Depending on ones perspective and view of Tonys manipulative nature and he was a puppet master, to be sure it was either a ruse to bring his erratic nephew back into the fold and get him under his thumb, a way to take out a problematic cop who was somehow on his To-Do List, or a combination of the two. Suffocated with a pillow in her apartment, after she caught him searching her . Indeed, he shared a great deal of information regarding Tony but suffered a massive heart attack before he could testify. Paulie was his guy and worked for him. It's noted that Paulie is one the few surviving or unscathed guys from Tony's dad's era. But Rizzi would not have felt so safe if he had known that when Sonny Corleone learned of the beatings he had flown into a murderous rage and had been restrained only by the sternest and most imperious command of the Don himself, a command that even Sonny dared not disobey. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Dante would support Soprano when he became capo following his fathers death, and he helped Soprano to plan hits on Chucky Signore and Mikey Palmice during the short-lived mob war with Junior Soprano in 1999. John Sacrimoni, aka Johnny Sack,was the powerful head of the Lupertazzi crime family in New York. Satriales Pork Store was recreated at 42 Market Street in Paterson (405454.6N 741033.9W) in 2019 for the filming of The Many Saints of Newark, a prequel to The Sopranos. The novel tells us that.. ..after he had made his bones he had received a good living from the Family, a percentage of an East Side book and a union payroll slot. As Tony's under-boss, Paulie would presumably be the new head of the family - but he would have been a puppet of New York who betrayed his friends and would die alone not long after. bradshaw44 : 1/3/2017 12:10 am : link Of course, for the F.B.I., there's nothing worse than working for Tony. Of course, Carlo made that decision to protect his son from going to jail as well. Essentially, he is beginning to worry that his long-time friend might fold under pressure. Absolutely, they were guilty of betraying the Corleone Family but for different reasons. Yes. The Paulie Theory That Changes Everything On The Sopranos. Acclaimed actors Claire Foy and Paul Bettany will visit 92Y on Wednesday, April 13 to discuss A Very British Scandal, the new Prime Video series in which they star - following a screening of the . Nothing to see here! He was killed so Phil would be the boss of the Lupertazzi crime family. October 4, 2021: This story has been updated with the latest information about The Many Saints of Newark. Whether or not Paulie would turn on his ungrateful boss Tony is another story. You tell some goober your life story? As Tony proceeds to grill him, Paulie sits there holding his stomach and looking worried. He was also worried that Paulie would become an easy target for the FBI in the near future. Fans of the series still want answers, 10 years later. Here's the fan theory about Paulie Walnuts that changes everything we know about "The Sopranos" ending. At this stage, Tony starts to look a bit uneasy. We are supposed to be laying low.. If we had a video livestream of a clock being sent to Mars, what would we see? Doubtful. Salvatore "Big Pussy" Bonpensiero portrayed by Vincent Pastore is a soldier in the Soprano Crew, and member of the DiMeo crime family. We give the updated Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil 4 Remake a spin in this S-Rank gameplay clip, featuring Leon. Why the obscure but specific description of Jane Doe II in the original complaint for Westenbroek v. Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity? We use cookies. , 10 Ralph. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Sonny kills Paulie for his role in the hit on Vito. In Long Term Parking, Adriana experiences health problems after being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. In the moments before Christopher kills him, Haydu claims he has no idea what Christophers talking about. In The Sopranos episode Remember When (S06 E15), Tony and Paulie drive to Miami to lay low.

Modern Regency Style Dress, Grubbs Funeral Home Obituaries Troy, Alabama, Banks Looking For Repo Agents, Gordon Smiley Cause Of Death, Volleyball Student Section Chants, Articles D