And it was the perfect recipe. Centuries-old traditions and modern-day nuances are abundant in Switzerlands architecture, people, cities, villages, nature, and festivals and events. Sun editor Victoria Newton said: Peter is remembered at The Sun as a brilliant story-getter and a kind, much-loved colleague. Zurichs bike-rental facilities are conveniently located at three locations throughout the city, including the main train stationsimply show your passport, leave a deposit, and borrow a bike for free. WebSimon Willis is a travel writer and freelance journalist flirting with both South America and Europe. Their love for each other was plain for all to see and I have never seen two friends laugh together more than them. WebSimon Willis | Travel Writer and Journalist About Me Im Simon (the one in the hat). Lucernes Blue Balls Festival draws legends of rock and pop. The event featured the 3am girls as bridesmaids and Carroll as matron of honour. Essential reading for media leaders every Thursday. Prince Charles, who knew Willis through his work with Pride of Britain, said: As The Pride of Britain became an established event, celebrating the great people of this country, Peter always insisted one of my Trusts young people was included. Can the Winter Olympics survive on a warming planet? WebSimon Willis A former BBC radio producer who worked with the likes of Zoe Ball, Jo Whiley, Simon Mayo and the late Terry Wogan, Simon was a larger-than-life character and devote father. An exceptional journalist and editor, Peter Willis was also warm and kind. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Its truly devastating. Be it as Santa for the @DailyMirror kids Christmas party or overseeing a page 1 scoop he was brilliant. My thoughts with Nicky and his sons ? Above all, my heart goes out to Nicky and the family. Fleet Street has lost one of its greats. The list of its authors can be seen in its historicaland/or the page Edithistory:Simon Willis. before becoming group executive editor and director of the Pride of Britain Awards, which he founded, last year. He worked for BBC Look North (North East and Cumbria) from 1983 until 1999 before moving to BBC Scotland as a correspondent and presenter on Newsnight Scotland until 2009. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". All my love to his family. Surgery failed. https://t.co/pXl27LlZR9, Lisa Marks ???? After all, the beauty of this country is best seen by taking it slow on foot or bike and staring out the train window with a camera in hand. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Rest in peace, Peter., Michael Greenwood, head of Reachs newswire, said: An exceptional journalist and editor, Peter Willis was also warm and kind. This article includes a television- and people-related list of lists. There were 3 of us in our marriage. WebJ ake Wallis Simons is an award-winning British journalist and novelist. This article "Simon Willis" is from Wikipedia. My husband Steve and Willy. Steve and Willy were like Morecambe and Wise except I was never sure which was which. He has contributed to the Washington Post, Independent, Yorkshire Post, Colombia Reports and Argentina Independent, among other publications. Switzerland (and neighboring Lichtenstein) use a J plug; travelers from the U.S. and Canada will need either a SEV 1011 or Earplug converter and an adapter for 240 V electricity. Rest easy mate., A wonderful and fitting tribute to Pride of Britain founder Peter Willis by @realbritainros and friends https://t.co/Vt5Gw42XfC pic.twitter.com/hk9HwFPYE2, Stewart Morris,a former producer then executive producer of the Pride of Britain Awards who worked closely with Willis, said: The utmost professional, he held his ITV partners to the highest standards which, in turn, made us better at our jobs. Rest easy mate.. So talented and one of the good guys. We woke to the news that our beloved Willy aka Simon Willis has left us & we are bereft. Ill forever be indebted to these publications for keeping me off the streets:The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Boston Globe, Afar, Bradt Travel Guides, TravelMag, Adventure Cyclist Magazine, Delta Sky Magazine and Matador Network. Simon Willis is a travel writer and freelance journalist flirting with both South America and Europe. That may sound a bit weak but at his end of The Street it was a rare quality. Terribly sad news. Rules had changed and marriage ceremonies had been sanctioned at venues other than churches and register offices. Always kind, always considerate and a whirlwind of activity. Award winning travel writer. The most bizarre moment was Peter somehow persuading bemused onlookers in the newsroom to form a human arch which the newlyweds had to walk under. Contact Simon, search articles and Tweets, monitor coverage, and track replies from one place. Always passionate about stories, always interested in your opinion, always kind. My love to his family, friends and colleagues., Daily Mirror editor Alison Phillips said Willis was warm, kind, funny and an incredible journalist and Sunday People and Mirror editor Gemma Aldridge said: I still cant quite believe it. He was my Dr Who husband, Ernie Wise to Steves Eric Morecambe, THE Godfather to our kids ? As a journalist, you can create a free Muck Rack account to customize your profile, list your contact preferences, and upload a portfolio of your best work. Ace operator on the road. Sun executive showbiz editor Simon Boyle said: In a tough industry he was unwaveringly a good guy I know everyone says that when tragedy strikes, but its true here. Switzerlands business ethic is offset every summer by a range of festivals. Simon Willis is a British journalist, who worked for BBC Look North (North East and Cumbria) from 1983 until 1999 as a reporter and presenter before moving to BBC M xxx @dullington pic.twitter.com/naibk0O8Dz, Martin Burgess-Moon ?? https://t.co/QC29m2G2nZ, Jill Foster (@JournalistJill) June 28, 2021, https://twitter.com/Flashmanthrice/status/1409572439554723840, Devastating news. This was the time when we went to a Chinese restaurant & I got confused and I ordered chicken feet. In December 2021, he was appointed Editor of the Jewish Chronicle, where he has become known for Thank you for everything, Pete. Columnist Sue Carroll picked a young couple from Exeter who had written in with a touching love story. RIP Peter ? Supporting the communities and people of those regions is as easy as using a local guide, staying at a locally owned and sustainable hotel, or buying goods made in the region. A great idea, but like all great ideas, very simple in its concept: lets celebrate and salute ordinary people for doing extraordinary things. Once teased in conference about not being fit he ran the London marathon the year after to prove them all wrong., Lesley Somervillesaid: I am so shocked brilliant, kind, warm journalist. For the English cricketer, see Simon Willis (cricketer). Willy was a one-off. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. WebCameraman in Scotland, United Kingdom. Reach has offered grief counselling and support for staff and said it will make a meeting room in its Canary Wharf headquarters available for anyone who wants to meet and talk about the news in person. The whole thing was bonkers but typical of Peters cleverness and sense of fun. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers said: Peter Willis was not only a giant of the industry, he was one of the kindest people you could ever meet. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Set on the waterfront of Lake Geneva, this monthlong festival burgeons every year thanks to its delightful ambience, variety of music, and free entry to all but a few concerts. I loved working for him. Reach chief executive Jim Mullen said: I am deeply saddened by the loss of Peter and my sympathies go out to his family and friends. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". I wont be able to watch a true crime show voiced by Fred Dinenage (his favourite) without thinking of him. The call ended with him regaling me about how he had booked an Elvis impersonator for the Christmas party. He will be much missed by me and everyone who worked with him. Zoe explained that she and Simon had worked together when she was a host on BBC's Radio 1. Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now. Your morning brew of news about the world of news from Press Gazette and elsewhere in the media. I shall always remember Peter editing the paper during the London riots in 2011 until late into the night on the backbench. Im Simon (the one in the hat). NZME journalist Simon Wilson. I write for the Washington Post, Boston Globe, Afar, Guardian Bradt and Delta simonwillistravels.wordpress.com. Simon Willis and simonwillistravels,2014. And get celebrities to take a back seat for a change and do the saluting. German, French, and Italian influences infuse different regions, and within these, nature-based gastronomy blends sustainable elements of food through locally sourced, farm-to-table ingredients. Seen here + @Kevin_Maguire + Richard Wallace putting the 4am 2010 general election paper to bed. Freelance journalist Steve Clark said: This is such incredibly sad news. WebSimon Willis Contributor, AFAR Medelln Travel As seen in: AFAR, Medium, MSN, The Guardian, Daily Mirror, Financial Times, Nature, 1843, Die Welt, The Economist, Yahoo He leaves two young children, Bevan and Honor. Copyright 2023 New Statesman Media Group Ltd. Weekly insight into the big strategic issues affecting the future of the news industry. Mail on Sunday showbiz editor Katie Hind described Willis as the loveliest, most thoughtful, wonderful man and the most brilliant journalist while former Daily Mirror head of features Carole Watson said he was a kind, loyal and super-talented friend and colleague. No visitor restrictions apply for stays of up to three months, after which a visa is required. It does not store any personal data. It was thefirst and last time she ever spoke to the press in all heryears as a royal. And for one day every August, Zurich is transformed into a musical heaven during its famous annual street parade. A sublime talent taken far too young. Talented, kind, hilariously funny. What a shame. Vice News to 'streamline' with 'painful but necessary' job cuts, David Aaronovitch on Substack launch, Times exit and freedom to write about Murdoch, Podcast 44: Life after The Times for David Aaronovitch: Going solo on Substack, Three journalists locked up for covering M25 protest: Herts Police personally apologises, MacKenzie, Murdoch and the hunt for tabloid gold in the digital era, Charging journalists for Twitter would be bad business and a blow to press freedom, Podcast 43: How to build a podcast from scratch with Andrew Harrison of Podmasters, Podcast 42: The future of music journalism with NME Networks Holly Bishop, Editorial standards/Complaints and Corrections, Senior Executive/SVP or Corporate VP or equivalent. We went on location trips to Spain and covered the Montreux TV Festival together, working like demons and laughing loud and long into the night. Be it as Santa for the Daily Mirror, kids Christmas party or overseeing a page 1 scoop he was brilliant., was not only a giant of the industry, he was one of the kindest people you could ever meet. Lovely man. It was something to behold.. Many memories. Most of the younger generation speak English. The reception was held at Marco Pierre Whites Criterion restaurant in Piccadilly Circus. Datasette is based on Simons experiences working as a data journalist at Peter was forever striving for perfection and often achieved it. I was part of a formidable features department he led at the Mirror. Piers Morgan, who worked with Willis on the Bizarre column at The Sun, described him as a brilliant journalist, a loving husband and father, and a loyal, decent, kind and caring friend of mine for 30 years. Please contact me swillis_1@hotmail.co.uk and follow me @simonwillis11. Morgans former colleague on Good Morning Britain Susanna Reid, a Pride of Britain judge, said: Great sadness at the loss of such a lovely, kind man. Then he broke his back. WebSimon Willis is a British journalist, who worked for BBC Look North (North East and Cumbria) from 1983 until 1999 as a reporter and presenter before moving to BBC The snow-free roads open up many climbing opportunities, and intrepid visitors don ice boots on mountain trams. He enjoys telling stories of marine and land-based conservation, Indigenous stewardship, regenerative travel, and innovation in science and technology. He WAS the heart of the Mirror and, I believe, exemplified everything that is good about tabloid journalism. WebFormer BBC Correspondent and TV presenter The Sunday Times travel writer and winner of the Travelex Award Author of 2 travel books Journalism Four first-ascents of Alaskan Plan routes throughout the country on electric trains powered by renewable energy, hybrid-electric buses, and boats using the SBB Mobile transit app. And it was the perfect recipe. He talked me through how to write the story. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. In the Alps, glitzy ski resorts exhibit fur boots and Ferraris, but there are also family destinations where children master their first snowplow. As Peters former deputy editor I saw, each day, the kindness, compassion and drive that ran through everything Peter did in life. His highest profile story was reporting on the Holyrood Inquiry, after which he presented the BBC documentary Holyrood - What Went Wrong? Its not forgotten.. A former travel writer for The Sunday Times and TGO - The Great Outdoors, he is a past winner of the Travelex Award for travel writing. Hayley Barlow (@Hayley_Barlow) June 28, 2021, Picture: Arthur Edwards WPA Pool/Getty Images, Email pged@pressgazette.co.uk to point out mistakes, provide story tips or send in a letter for publication on our "Letters Page" blog. He was involved with a series of films Sea Kayak with Gordon Brown, podcast interviews, and a book The Scottish Sea Kayak Trail, Europe's first long distance trail for sea kayakers which he developed. Once youd engaged with him on any story, idea, campaign or investigation there was no escape. I continue to use many of his journalism tips and techniques today. For some reason the folks at TravelWriting2 wanted to interview meme! Solo yachtie's miracle survival tale. A combination of three vastly different food cultures has kept the Swiss at the forefront of celebrated gastronomy. Devastating. Even before smartphones I took lots of pics. Peter Willis was at the heart of Pride of Britain and presided over each judging day, and the night itself, with positive energy, thoughtfulness and consideration. A journalist reflected on interviewing Bruce Willis in 1996, calling it "a nightmare." News diary 1-7 May: King Charles III crowned, local elections, BBC England strikes, Hugh Grant accuses Sun publisher of unlawful acts including burglaries to order, Vice News to streamline with painful but necessary job cuts, How publishers can address three key online ad revenue challenges, Advertising technology for publishers: Opti Digital increases revenue, Newstech Q&A with Norkon: Live-blogging will move to freemium model. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. A big part of the 90s re-shaping at R1.. WebTools. I get moaned at for taking lots of pics. What a shame. Friends and ex-colleagues of former BBC Radio 1 producer, Simon Willis, have been paying tribute to him, following news he passed away this week, following a

Skyrizi Commercial Actress, Braum's Southwest Sauce, Seth Friedman Vermont, Clothing To Wear With A Catheter, Articles S