This process will refresh the above files by recreating them. Right-click, and select Properties. (2) keep your finger pressed on the shift button and press the right or left arrow keys. Joe loves all things technology and is also an avid DIYer at heart. Step 1: Click Go on the menu bar and select Utilities. 1 chronopunk 1 yr. ago I don't think that's it. I've noticed this for a while. I have tried several registry edits offered by my findings with no luck. Logitech 310 mouse will not swipe very well in just about anything, but most annoying in Excel. The double-click selects the full word you have the cursor on, then you can continue to drag the cursor to highlight word by word. Workaround. Just yesterday I updated MacOS to 12.5 on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro and now I can select text just fine. Hold down Shift and click within the selected text to subtract characters, words, or paragraphs from your selection. Exit Activity Monitor. 1 Answer Sorted by: 1 You can try updating MacOS I had the problem you mention, though under MacOS 12.3 and Word 16.62 Home/Student. Mouse selection has become buggy. Apple may provide or recommend responses as a possible solution based on the information My browser text does not have issues either (Safari and/or Firefox). Instead of re-installing Office, you can use the Office diagnostic tools which may repair the problem. Generic Doubly-Linked-Lists C implementation. Dec 15, 2016 6:31 AM in response to EricJTx. A link to the app was sent to your phone. Go to System Preferences > Accessibility Choose Mouse & Trackpad from the left options list Click Trackpad Options Tick "Enable dragging" and select "three finger drag" from the drop-down menu next to it For macOS 10.15 "Catalina" and later: Go to System Preferences > Accessibility Choose Pointer Control Why do men's bikes have high bars where you can hit your testicles while women's bikes have the bar much lower? Anyone found a fix besides another mouse or pull out the old one with a wire? Please help!!! Punctuation marks are highlighted independently from the words. Change your right-click settings on your Mac. It can be annoying. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Could a subterranean river or aquifer generate enough continuous momentum to power a waterwheel for the purpose of producing electricity? No packages or subscriptions, pay only for the time you need. The text is selected but does not show a highlighted colour. I do not have this problem with Word 2007. In the meantime, if you are still not able to select text with a mouse or the mouse pad: (1) Use the arrow keys on your keyboard in order to move your curser where you want to highlight text, If it is a wired mouse, you may have a bad wire and should try to see if a new mouse will fix the issue. only. Then use your mouse or trackpad to select and drag the files to a new location. To select text letter by letter, place the cursor at the starting point, hold down the Shift key, then press the Left or Right arrow keys. Click on the bar below the touchpad. When you do this, the text becomes unselected when you hold CTRL and press the arrow keys to move the insertion point to continue selecting text in a different area of your Word document. The best part is this isnt an exclusive trick for any specific platform. If I do Shift+click then I can sometimes select what I want. For ex: your NUM LOCK key or your Caps key. Refunds. If none of the above fixes worked, it might be worth heading into an Apple Store and asking an employee for advice. I have the top row of a table frozen). Synergy is definitely causing this issue in my situation. Same here- just got new iMac. Looks like no ones replied in a while. Mar 14, 2014 1:56 PM in response to anandaguy. Most questions answered within 4 hours. It may take a while to complete the diagnostic tests so be patient. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. Need help with something else? RELATED: Why Is a Computer Mouse Called a Mouse? While holding CTRL, select the next text that you want. any proposed solutions on the community forums. Im running OS 10.8.2 on a MacBook Pro (retina display). If you want to change trackpad dragging behavior by turning drag lock on or off, visit System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options. @Michael MarvelliFor those who need a concrete response Office 365 isn't the issue, confirmed with our IT department and others at our company. Why xargs does not process the last argument? Adding EV Charger (100A) in secondary panel (100A) fed off main (200A). Not everyone prefers to use a mouse for text selection. Let me explain . Step 2: Double-click on Activity. Brad Stephenson is a freelance tech and geek culture writer with 12+ years' experience. For me the biggest issue was not being able to use the marquee tool in Photoshop. I'm having the same problem, and the proposed fix in post #7 didn't help. Apples Universal Control feature is a form of drag and drop where you use a single keyboard and mouse with up to three Apple devices. Using the USB mouse, in System Preferences click on Mouse and then Set Up Bluetooth Mouse Once the Magic Mouse has paired with your Mac see if if you can select text If you still can't select text try restarting your Mac in Safe Mode to see if you can highlight text and if you can highlight restart as normal and check again Reply Helpful of 1 On whose turn does the fright from a terror dive end? Now hold Shift + Ctrl and press the Left or Right arrow keys. You dont have to worry about dragging to the exact right spot. Prepare to have your mind blown. Same for the URL bar. (3) once you have highlighted your text, press CTRL + C in order to copy the text. This seems to go on until randomly I'm able to highlight and select text again. Here are all of the best ways to get drag and drop working correctly on your Mac. Jan 07 2018 If you happen to be using Synergy (or other similar software KVM type program), I would suggest attempting to kill that application, and see if the problem persists. I believe the problem was either a MacOS problem, or, more likely, an incorrect interaction between Word and MacOS. WFred 123, User profile for user: And shift+left/right to highlight left and right? Stopping synergy was enough, no need to uninstall for me. Disable Force Click and haptic feedback. Seems I do not have this issue with any of my other apps: Adobe Creative Suite 5 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc.). To work around this problem, use the mouse to select non-contiguous areas of your Word document. omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. It's a Word preference setting. For some reason I am unable to select text the normal way. The Option key on a Mac keyboard Hold down the Option key on your keyboard, then click and hold to start making your selection. Apple may provide or recommend responses as a possible solution based on the information When you do, the closed apps and windows will be automatically reopened and you might lose unsaved tasks. This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes How do I drag and drop on a Mac trackpad? Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, What does "up to" mean in "is first up to launch"? Try one of our lessons. I can for a little while, then I can't, so, I close and restart the applications again and all is well. On what basis are pardoning decisions made by presidents or governors when exercising their pardoning power? Change your right-click settings on your Mac. 2005 - 2023 Wyzant, Inc, a division of IXL Learning - All Rights Reserved. Select all text with similar formatting in Word 2011 for Mac? Is your mouse wireless? This works fine, but theres one problemand youve probably noticed it. Mar 14, 2014 1:04 AM in response to Joel Lexchin. When youre selecting text letter by letter, its easy to accidentally only highlight part of a word. If I drag the cursor to the URL bar and double click, the entire thing won't be highlighted as it should and always used to do until recently. Apr 19, 2013 9:45 AM in response to Joel Lexchin. Ctrl+F2 will switch the focus to the menu bar, and Ctrl+F3 brings up the dock (if you're using a keyboard with the Touch Bar, you need Ctrl+Fn+F2 and Ctrl+Fn+F3 ). I think its a storage problem. I cannot select text with my mouse in Word and Outlook. That is why I asked the questions I did. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. First thing to do is get off the horribly buggy 12.0.1. Did the Golden Gate Bridge 'flatten' under the weight of 300,000 people in 1987? There should be a buttonIn the Word Options window click on the Resources option and then click the Diagnose button next to the 'run Microsoft Office Diagnostics' option. You can change back if not helpful. Trouble selecting cells or objects with mouse, Re: Trouble selecting cells or objects with mouse. I was on a 2007 (purchased in 2008) iMac previously running the latest OS X Mountain Lion--without any such issue. It only takes a minute to sign up. Right click in the message body. Restart your Mac. seventy one, User profile for user: How do I stop the Flickering on Mode 13h? Mouse and trackpad preferences can also often confuse as there are several options users can select to customize how an item is selected and moved via Macs mouse cursor. Double clicking, when the curser is on a word, will highlight the word. I had the same problem and rebooting did the trick for me. If the central button contact is stuck, the selection in Microsoft Word and Excel doesn't work properly (although it works in other apps, including Powerpoint). Selecting text is a common thing to do on a computer. To do this, follow these steps: Use your mouse and select the first text that you want. Excel selecting wrong cells - Microsoft Community. To drag and drop on a Mac, click on an item and drag your finger on the trackpad, or move your mouse. Hello @ScottSmith have you tried with the last Synergy version? Repeat step 2 until you select all the text that you want. I find sometimes that it is the magnification settings (bottom right corner of Excel, PowerPoint, etc). Has anyone else noticed a bug or issue in Preview that prevents text selection? When you purchase through our links we may earn a commission. Find out more about the Microsoft MVP Award Program. provided; every potential issue may involve several factors not detailed in the conversations Now this does not work. I have intermittent trouble highlighting text in Microsoft Word 14.2 using the Magic Mouse. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the. This functionality is on by default because it is a standard function of mouse and trackpad usage, so you shouldnt need to enable it. Whether you want to build your own home theater or just learn more about TVs, displays, projectors, and more, we've got you covered. Similar to the above tip, you can also change the right-click settings on your Mac to suit your style and workflow. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Why are players required to record the moves in World Championship Classical games? Instead of a single click and drag, try doing a double-click, but keep holding the mouse button down and drag on the second click. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Windows 7 and later (downloads a file named tsginfo.exe), Windows XP (downloads a file named SysInfo.exe). Drag-select of words in Microsoft Word was inconsistently not working - the word would highlight, then on releasing the mouse button, the highlight was lost about 50% of the time - highly irritating. In the meantime, if you are still not able to select text with a mouse or the mouse pad: (1) Use the arrow keys on your keyboard in order to move your curser where you want to highlight text. Jul 21, 2016 7:33 PM in response to Joel Lexchin, Go to System Preferences / General and set the select text color to something other than white/clear, which will be shown as 'other.'. This issue still persists. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. How to Use Cron With Your Docker Containers, How to Use Docker to Containerize PHP and Apache, How to Pass Environment Variables to Docker Containers, How to Check If Your Server Is Vulnerable to the log4j Java Exploit (Log4Shell), How to Use State in Functional React Components, How to Restart Kubernetes Pods With Kubectl, How to Find Your Apache Configuration Folder, How to Assign a Static IP to a Docker Container, How to Get Started With Portainer, a Web UI for Docker, How to Configure Cache-Control Headers in NGINX, How to Set Variables In Your GitLab CI Pipelines, How to Use an NVIDIA GPU with Docker Containers, How Does Git Reset Actually Work? Clean your Macs trackpad and mouse. No idea if that would fix it either. Please advise, Nov 3, 2021 1:59 PM in response to Grahamhinitt, User profile for user: Dont worry, weve got you covered too. Once the scroll position of the content/page becomes disconnected from the scroll bar position the only way to 're-sync' it is to scroll the page using the scroll bar. It works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chromebooks. I've tried Repairing Office 2010, rechecked my mouse device settings to no avail. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Drag and drop not working on your Mac? I have tried several `registry edits` offered by my findings with no luck.Any ideas? Back up your Mac and then select Finder > Go > Go to Folder, type ~/Library, select Go, and then delete the following six files. Jessica Kormos is a writer and editor with 15 years' experience writing articles, copy, and UX content for Tecca.com, Rosenfeld Media, and many others. The cause was unknown until today when I narrowed it down to the Ctrl key. Come join the discussion about articles, computer security, Mac, Microsoft, Linux, hardware, networking, gaming, reviews, accessories, and more! First, lets look at the way most people typically select text on their Windows, Mac, Chromebook, or Linux PC. This issue was never present until I purchased a new iMac with OS X Mavericks. While holding CTRL, select the next text that you want. So lets make that easier. Is this plug ok to install an AC condensor? Refresh the Macs mouse and trackpad files. We suggest checking the drive of your mouse to ensure it's up-to-date. Double-tap a word to select the whole word/. To learn how, check this link. It would seem the problem is, as you thought, related to MS Office. I am using `Office 2010` (`Professional 14.0.6112.5000 32-bit` on `Windows 7 Pro SP1`).I have uninstalled and re-installed `Office`. Suddenly I can't highlight a block of text. rev2023.4.21.43403. It looks like a problem with your mouse. What is SSH Agent Forwarding and How Do You Use It? It may not display this or other websites correctly. Was shocked to discover that it immediately worked again after right clicking in the message body. Check your multi-button mouses settings. How to Make a Black glass pass light through it? You may have never even considered there was another way to highlight text. Take Screenshot by Tapping Back of iPhone, Pair Two Sets of AirPods With the Same iPhone, Download Files Using Safari on Your iPhone, Turn Your Computer Into a DLNA Media Server, Add a Website to Your Phone's Home Screen, Control All Your Smart Home Devices in One App. should now. Can't select text with mouse in Word or Outlook, Synergy prevents click and drag actions in some windows applications. ask a new question. This guide will walk you through a series of solutions to fix your Macs cursor problems, whether youre experiencing them when using your trackpad or mouse. In Edge it appeared to be related to the zoom level; if I reset my zoom level I could use the scroll bar otherwise the 'hit box' for the scroll bar and the visual position of the scroll bar were different. Need help with something else? [Re-Titled by Moderator], call In Mountain Lion (10.8), the Double-Click speed option has disappeared completely from the Mouse & Trackpad settings. I am using Office 2010 (Professional 14.0.6112.5000 32-bit on Windows 7 Pro SP1). If it is a wired mouse, you may have a bad wire and should try to see if a new mouse will fix the issue. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, I have uninstalled and re-installed Office. Enabling touch mode requires only a few steps. This method makes a lot more sense for most situations. Have you found any fixes yet? I have the version 1.5.1 and everything works. Can Power Companies Remotely Adjust Your Smart Thermostat? This is due to some add-on, at least for me. rev2023.4.21.43403. This happens reliably if I have 'freeze panes' activated (e.g. Hope this saves someone the agonizing pain of being unable to flash fill by dragging, trying to grab documents or emails while it disconnects your click, etc. If youre having trouble moving the mouse cursor and clicking on files and icons, try changing the speed settings to suit your style. Join 425,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles. The text is highlighted letter by letter, as shown below. Hallelujah! Word - Extract picture 'alt text - description', Deleting text of a certain color and the white space before and after - Microsoft Word, If text string exist select cell containing text string, Word Rich Text Content Control and Highlighing, The hyperbolic space is a conformally compact Einstein manifold. He has written thousands of articles, hundreds of tutorials, and dozens of reviews. The excel file is very large with lots of data and macros. Fortunately for me it was as simple as zooming out that fixed this. Visit an Apple Store. Couldnt be simpler, right? Can anyone test? I believe the problem was either a MacOS problem, or, more likely, an incorrect interaction between Word and MacOS. Best practices and the latest news on Microsoft FastTrack, The employee experience platform to help people thrive at work, Expand your Azure partner-to-partner network, Bringing IT Pros together through In-Person & Virtual events. How a top-ranked engineering school reimagined CS curriculum (Ep. Any Mac or iPad that matches or is newer than the models in the above list should support Universal Control drag and drop. Not sure whether to disparage Apple or MS. Highlight a Row Using Conditional Formatting, Hide or Password Protect a Folder in Windows, Access Your Router If You Forget the Password, Access Your Linux Partitions From Windows, How to Connect to Localhost Within a Docker Container, How to Run Your Own DNS Server on Your Local Network. Generating points along line with specifying the origin of point generation in QGIS. User profile for user: Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. any proposed solutions on the community forums. But is very annoying. Thank you, EricJTx, changing the color solved the problem. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Refresh the Mac's mouse and trackpad files. Others use both their left and right index fingers. 35,000 worksheets, games, and lesson plans, Marketplace for millions of educator-created resources, Spanish-English dictionary, translator, and learning, Diccionario ingls-espaol, traductor y sitio de aprendizaje. It's sloppy.sometimes it will start the selection a cell or two away from the desired cell, or not even allow selection at all. Which ability is most related to insanity: Wisdom, Charisma, Constitution, or Intelligence? Magic mouse not highlighting. I've noticed this problem in Excel and Microsoft Edge. Embedded hyperlinks in a thesis or research paper. Let us know how it goes. I found this question when my user was having this same problem - only in Outlook, they could not select text or move the mouse in any new message after using the CTRL key once while writing one (although the mouse worked for moving between fields in the new message, like From, to, Subject, and in all other applications).

Lard Lad Big Pink Donut Calories, How Much Does Animal Planet Pay Dr Jeff, Articles M