Forrest stated (and Im paraphrasing) that the spot was not in very close proximity to a human trail. That hed know when it was found. Barbarisi explored that ethos and went afield with several of the characters involved in the search, which became the basis for his book. It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more Its been a month since Forrest Fenn announced his treasure was claimed, but the public is still not much closer to knowing the bountys location or finder. Read more in our, In this Aug. 3, 2016 file photo, a herd of bison grazes in the Lamar Valley of Yellowstone National Park in Wyo. Powered by WordPress.com VIP. I have thought about whether I would go on the internet and point out the evidence at that point in a fit of pique. It was not until after Fenns death in September 2020 that Jack Stuef posted an anonymous blog post about the find. Jack is now using his old search location as his story of how it was found. In terms of looking at that as a concept, you have to look at why people search for this thing. I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot, Fenn writes. 1. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. , Stuef applied for tax status and apparently moved to Puerto Ricowhere there is almost no capital gains taxin September 2019, nine months before he found the treasure. According to Forrest Fenn, who hid a bronze trunk filled with gold and jewels somewhere on Western public lands, his treasure has been claimed. Fenn teased the treasures location in his 2010 memoir The Thrill of the Chase. In particular, a 24-line poem was used as the only information needed to discover the box left unburied in the Rocky Mountains. Daviss verdict was that the area is not equipped to handle a heavy human presence, so they agreed to keep its location a secret. I have seen it, but I havent read it. He revealed his identity to Outside in December of that year, just before being added as a defendant to one of the lawsuitsmy texts and emails were hackedwhich forced his hand. Why Ultralight People Need to Chill Already, Kershaw Iridium Review: A Great Flipping Knife Under $100. Find the ZIP Code, County, and +4 of any U.S. Thanks Dave. The finder wants me to remain silent and I always said the finder gets to make those two calls. My responses are all in bold below. Initially, I really did think it was going to be in New Mexico. Q3 If everything went as FF had first planned and took his life at the spot. Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! It was Yellowstone for me from day one. Six months later, around early December 2020, the seeker was identified as 32-year-old Michigan native Jack Stuef, a former journalist and medical student. Also, on December 7, the website Outside Magazine also published an article confirming Stuef as the finder. He is currently a Senior Editor at The Athletic, after years as a reporter atThe Wall Street JournalandThe Providence Journal. would at least let me know if i have been mistakenly attached to this spot. A fast and unbiased roundup of whats happening in the world today. At this point Im just looking for some personal satisfaction at solving it for myself. I was trying to chronicle the hunt and also trying to be a treasure hunter. 3. Davis surveyed the area the following week and concluded that the spot was not set up to handle the increased foot traffic that revealing the location might bring. He. And he always said that there was a kind of fail-safe inside. But, look, there are things I dont know as well. In an effort to prove that Fenn didnt move the treasure, his lawyer revealed that Fenn told Yellowstone National Parks chief ranger, Sarah Davis, where it was hidden. So, what comes next for those seeking answers on the treasures exact location? No. In some strange way, it will make me smile knowing you are the only person who can truly smile back.either as a delighted nod or a pitiful shake of the head! All Rights Reserved. After Forrest Fenns passing, though, Jack penned a piece on his blog, titled A Remembrance of Forrest Fenn, calling the New Mexican his friend and detailing the unprecedented legacy he left behind. I was doing a dual-purpose thing. There was a feeling that you could get close to him, and thats incredibly tantalizing to people. He remembered one but not the other. If something had happened to him and he never had the chance to answer questions about the treasure hunt, I would have had a harder time believing it was real, so I may have just decided there was too much uncertainty and never searched. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. She filed a motion to intervene in the case in April on the argument that revealing the treasure's location will result in damage to Yellowstone. Jack first learned of the treasure hunt in 2018 from tweets. Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs. If that is the case with me, I would be happy to receive them, but I think it would be prudent that I first return your treasure to you so you can fully verify that it belongs to you. The number of people who go to the point that they were neglecting their home lives was pretty rare. After pinpointing the location, he thought Forrest was talking about, he spent 25 days over 2 years combing the area where he thought the treasure chest was hidden. It turned out to be Jack Stuef, a. I think the past tense does help you realize that there is a gap there, the search you have to do for the blaze. He was 32 years old at the time of the find. Stuef found it on June 6 in Wyoming -- two years after his quest began -- in the place where Fenn wrote that he wished to die. The story isnt quite over. Access the newest seasons of MeatEater, save content, and join in discussions with the Crew and others in the MeatEater community. It took two months of correspondence before the man who found Forrest Fenns treasure told me his name, Barbarisi writes. The finder identified himself Monday in a. And yes, in theory, somebody else roughly figured out the general area and couldnt find the thing. Whoever found the treasure would have to maneuver very carefully if they wanted to keep it. If I were in your shoes I might get my name changed and start a brand new life! In November 2020, five months after the chest was found, MeatEater podcast guest and journalist Benjamin Wallace published an article in New York Magazine that followed a group of the treasures most feverish hunters. September 7, 2020 Fenns family announces that Fenn has died of natural causes. Would you say the blaze could have already been damaged when Forrest originally left the chest? I live in the Adelaide Hills, in South Australia. For the most part, we stayed away from anything too dangerous. Exact location could be revealed through lawsuit proceedings. Theories began to sprout that maybe even Forrest faked the whole thing or at least the "find" to prolong his legacy and immortalize the chest into the annuals of history in a way that would keep treasure chest seekers combing the Rocky Mountains for centuries. This choice was made to preserve the location and for safety. And it turns out, officials at Yellowstone really want to avoid that scenario. I am still trying to solve the poem on my own. I now own the treasure chest. I went through all the towels in the room and left them totally brown from all the dirt. I was a little bit too standard. Then you get out there in the wilderness and realize you have two ideas, you need nine, and youre basically just out for a walk. "Every day.". 5 Years Later, a Trial, Trump Requests Mistrial in E. Jean Carroll Case, Biden Holds Line on Talks, but Cracks Are Emerging, Aerosmith's Big Announcement: 'Think It's About Time', Texas Governor Slammed for Tweets After Mass Shooting, It's the Second-Largest Bank Failure in US History, On Day He Decided to Flee Khartoum, US Doctor Killed, Killer Confesses to Old Murder. Theres a lot of lure to that treasure box. Once they searched that location and had a positive hit from their treasure-hunting dog, they determined they found where the chest used to sit. Can you honestly say that you knew for certain that your location was the location prior to recovery? After that, it was just going to be this big crazy treasure hunt where people were going to die. There are some little nuggets of evidence in his quotes, but theyre not as important as that big-picture stuff. According to a report, though, it seems like he dislikes almost everything about the medical field apart from treating patients. A lot of the trouble people ran into was searching at the wrong time of the year. But, seven months later, the finder has finally come forward. I think he got into his groove with handling interviews quickly, and I certainly looked at and watched and listened to everything. Theres pressure involved. We use cookies. I havent measured the area I searched. You already know that the treasure was found, so the book spends most of its time exploring the drive and conviction behind its hunters over the last 4 years of the search. You have the ability to speak to the person who created the hunt. If TTOTC was the only piece of writing he ever wrote, I would have found that very strange. I think a majority of searchers were looking for a linear solution to a non-linear equation. McCracken accuses Fenn of moving the treasure four timeswhenever McCracken was getting close to it, he says. With Stuef under oath, this presents a scenario where he has to reveal the chests exact location. Its probably easy to tally up coincidences on any subject, and thats why so many searchers felt they wound up in rabbit holes. July 22, 2020 Fenn writes a blog post for the first time in over a month. Many speculate that Fenn is extending a courtesy to the finder for tax purposes, keeping the federal government in the darksince they likely manage Sign in to access your profile, save content and more. Congratulations once again and thanks for your time. Hahaha! He said he does not plan to so that the location is kept safe. Ive spent so much time working on it that I feel the need for that closure to find what I missed. Dan Barbarisi: I came to the chase in early 2017 when my hunting partner Jay Raynor, aka Beep, brought it up. The treasure chest's finder: a Pennsylvania medical school student. An affidavit in an ongoing lawsuit confirms that the treasure was buried in iconic areas of the United States, and now officials are struggling with how to keep the treasure's location from being released. You would think so. In the poem Take it in the canyon down is this referring to an actual, physical canyon? I dont get off on being withholding. Interesting note about the WY trip! Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. No, Jack Stuef did not know Forrest Fenn before finding his treasure chest. Thanks again Jack and completely understand if I dont hear back from my question. In my opinion, everything you said was point on. Join Outside+ to get Outside magazine, access to exclusive content, 1,000s of training plans, and more. It clearly impacted [Stuef] in a major way. At least two living people know where the late Forrest Fenn hid his treasure: the man who found it and the chief ranger of Yellowstone National Park. Although details have slowly surfaced since Jack Stuef located the gold-filled chest, the greatest Fenn mystery of all remained unsolved: Where was the treasure hidden? It is EXACTLY what made the hunt so difficult for so many. As far as you know, is that a true statement? Since the announcement that it was found in Wyoming, Ive been working on a new Wyoming solve. Department of General Services. His name is Jack Stuef. So probably not. Address for ZIP Code of Address; ZIP Code of Address City; ZIP Code of Address State This thing has intrinsic value and its part of a bigger story with a lot of parts. Well, the McCracken proceedings are set to begin in June. Two of them are larger than a hens egg.. they look for three tangible signs of the treasure's former location . His view seemed to be that the location of the treasure became public information when Fenn published his poem. So for now, the deposition will proceed, and Fenns hiding spot could soon be revealed. I didnt ask him that, but it wouldnt surprise me. did you have a similar experience? Allen, hypotheticals are always difficult to answer with any accuracy. He quickly identified the area of interest in Wyoming and spent 25 days over the next two years searching the location. I think its vague to the reader coming into it cold, but those words held deep meaning for him. He resides with his wife and two sons outside Boston, Massachusetts. Department of Community and Economic Development. If everyone knew about those deaths in the time as they happened, as opposed to the information trickling out over six months, I think it would have been shut down in 2017. Fenn later came out and said its in the Rockies and my hypothesis was that he didnt want this to end too fast and hed expanded the area to four states. 2. Despite photos surfacing of the chest and its contents, Fenn said he wont reveal more details until the man from back East gives him the OK. If Sommer questions Stuef, however, McCracken also gets a turn. It looks like someone is really thinking this through, he said. NOTHING about it will be accidental and The treasure will be found by someone who followed the clues to the location.. [Nick had a lot of long questions and I asked him to narrow them down]. Thats the reason or excuse to search for it, but not the why. CBS via YouTube/ @stuef. Jack's reasoning for coming forward is the hope that revealing the finder of the chest will lay things to rest. Who and where, Fenn writes. Is any part of the solve outside of Wyoming? In terms of covering the hunt, Id like to think I was mostly rational, but there were times I fell into some conspiracy theory-type things. Would you answer the question the same way? As you read, youll laugh at misadventures, find relief when the treasure is found, and still have questions. 2. Once you become part of the thing, you can get sucked in. The nuggets, the gold coins, the ancient artifacts are cool on their face. These things held meaning. Ten days later, [Fenn] released some photos, and that helped some. I wish I were making that up. Hopefully you can answer these questions, but I understand if not! 1. Trash & recycling. And no, Jack is not revealing the final resting place of the treasure chest. It fits a dictionary definition of the word and is used correctly in context. 2. More than a decade ago, in 2010, an eccentric art dealer and author, Forrest Fenn, announced that he had hidden a treasure of gold and jewels in the Rocky Mountains of the United States by publishing a 24-line poem, or riddle, in his memoir The Thrill of the Chase. So, of course, from here, began a journey of searches that resulted in everything from marriages to deaths. For a treasure hunt that was supposed to be real-life Indiana Jones, the finale left everyone jonesing for more information. 1. Or do you think that Forrest had a different view of the chests spot with the blaze still intact? Yes, all the other clues are recognizable out there at this point the same as when he hid it, but none of them were as susceptible to damage as the blaze was. Barbarisi himself had spent months searching for the treasure himself. One last thing, did you find it strange to see a rusty pair of scissors in the chest? Cookie Notice 1. I think it would be cool to listen to that and close my eyes and envision your journey! Thanks. And do feel his statement (done in classic Fenn style, LOL!) The Finder says it took him 25 full days of scouring one specific area to locate the treasure. Im aware that over the years you have intimated that you may like to give these items to the person who found it, Stuef wrote. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? Yes, Jack Stuef proved he is the finder of Fenn's treasure with photographic evidence. Heres a brief timeline on how we got here. If I had gone in that area, I probably would have needed some luck to notice it even without damage because I didnt know what I was looking for. So what was it that gave you so much confidence that your location was correct that you visited it 25 times in those two years? Daniel Barbarisi is the author of Dueling with Kings. It doesnt even rhyme completely. One states Taylor Swift must have known the location because two of her albums are full of clues, per the Santa Fe New Mexican. I think I can answer that either way and people would quibble if they knew all the answers. - Journalist Daniel Barbarisi, author of Chasing the Thrill: Obsession, Death, and Glory in Americas Most Extraordinary Treasure Hunt, convinced Stuef to reveal his identity and he agreed. Maybe he had time to prepare. I understand if you dont have the time to answer, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my first email. The natural inclination for me would still be to research the man as much as possible. Fenns advice was to stick to the search seasons, but that varies from New Mexico to Wyoming. I have spoken to so many who felt like Fenn gave them some personal message or clue. Through the time to Fenns death, I think a lot of people, myself included, felt like we werent getting the full story. Members get 15+ publications right in your pocket. 4. Based in Denver, Colorado, Elliott spends time running, hiking, camping, slinging beers, and occasionally fishing. However, the finder understands how important closure is for many searchers, so today he agreed that we should reveal that the treasure was found in Wyoming.. The people who were searching for the chest wanted to be right. Roughly how big was the location or area you had decided the treasure was at? His is a native Michigan and a medical student. Assistant US attorney Kimberley Bell tried to prevent that. Harpoon-Tipped Titan: Artisan Cutlery Xcellerator Pocket Knife Review, No Textile Left Behind: iKamper Apron and More, Made From Excess Tent Fabric, 2024 GMC Sierra HD AT4X: Luxury Off-Road Towing Monster, With Optional AEV Upfit, Perfect Portable Power Station: EcoFlow River 2 Pro Review, Gerber Pack Hatchet Review: Tackle Tough Tasks for Under $50, The Best Overland Water Storage Containers for Long-Distance Travel, Civivi Conspirator Nitro-V Review: The Budget-Friendly Super Steel Youve Never Heard Of, A Scope That Performs Without Breaking the Bank: Maven CRS.2 Review, The Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags of 2023, The Best Camping Mattresses and Sleeping Pads of 2023, From a Camp Chair to Kickass Layers: Best Gifts for Outdoorsy Moms, Best Gifts for Dad: Great Gear for Your Old Man, Best Outdoor Gifts: Our Favorite Head-to-Toe Gear for Any Adventure. It was almost universal condemnation. The Fenn treasure hunt began in 2010, when the wealthy art dealer hid a chest filled with gold and jewels from his personal collection somewhere in the Rocky mountains, then published a 24-line poem containing clues to its location. Whatever it is, McCracken is pretty good at submitting legal paperwork. Jack Gets Mail #2. Therefore, he has removed all possible personal information from public platforms. Jack first joined The Thrill of The Chase and the hunt for Fenn's treasure in 2018. So while he remained guarded about his solve and the location where he discovered the treasure, he now didn't mind telling me who he really was. 2. When I interviewed him in 2014, Fenn said he wanted to make the contents of his treasure chest look like a pirate movie, so he filled it with the most visually stunning items he could find: diamonds, rubies, and gold. A man who claims to have found the elusive treasure belonging to eccentric collector Forrest Fenn has just revealed in his identity in an online post. What I considered to be probable was certainly smaller than a football field, and it was found within those probable bounds. [Carrie then includes a long list of all the coincidences she found]. To me, that past tense was jarring. Lets be clear, he took the attention. A lawsuit against the late Forrest Fenn's estate revealed that his $1 million treasure chest was buried in Yellowstone National Park A Florida treasure hunter claims Fenn moved the treasure. Is that what you found? Sign up to receive GearJunkie content direct to your inbox. Gold nuggets. The vast majority of searchers have been kind and respectful of the responsibility I have to protect the location where the treasure was secreted (and, therefore, the answers to the clues that lead there). Wed have to define too big, but right around the time I was getting into it was when there were three deaths in a month. Thats not too much to give away because theres a million canyons. I for one, was in the court of the poem being straight forward. And not that it matters at all to you, but I just wanted to put my thoughts in a final resting place with the person who did what no one else could. But, Michigan native Jonathan "Jack" Stuef has now made his identity public after a federal court order against Fenn's estate would have made his name public. And he made the most of it. Again, he doesnt include any new information. But cmon.). I dont think he anticipated that people would be dying. I think we did think alike in some important ways, because I always found it rather easy to understand where he was coming from where I sometimes saw others struggling. So, he pushed himself until he zeroed in on the exact location of the riches, which Jack has since declined to reveal in an attempt to honor what he thinks would have been Forrests wish. I think that I might have found a topic that you can address. 4. Once there was one death, I dont think he ever thought there would be five. Once it was a phenomenon, it was too late. He read Fenn's memoir, "The Thrill of the Chase," and learned everything he could about the eccentric millionaire before starting his search for the treasure. He declined to comment until his case is resolved, and its set to begin proceedings in June. Heres a brief timeline on how we got here: Thats tough to say because I wasnt tracking myself with GPS and being systematic enough in 2018, but my feeling when I first went there early in the search season in 2019 was that it was an area of the forest I had never been in before. At that time, it had been going on for 7 years and I had not heard of it. But then, it also seems like Stuef knew he was going to find the treasure long before he did. Fenn said he spent $5,000 on a lawyer figuring out the potential finders legal situation before he placed the chest. Thousands of people pursued the elusive treasure since 2010, and at least five people died in the thrill of the chase. Jack had remained anonymous, he said, not because he had anything to hide but because he feared the potential threats that came with his findings. Once it morphed into that, I think Fenn had recognized that, for better or for worse, it was his thing and nothing was going to take this away from him and he took that personally. Best wishes for a safe and happy New Year! If so, was this info part of the ancillary evidence that aided you in the search? As personalities clash, deaths come to light, and popular theories fall out of favor, several people find themselves changed by the hunt in ways they wouldnt have expected for better or for worse. Five deaths are attributed to the search. Is this an original key, or a cheap replica? It seems like you tried to research everything about Forrest Fenn, including everything he ever wrote or said about the Chase. But maybe the individual clues from there on dont have specific place names. Moreover, Jack does not want his family to be subjected to the stalkers, death threats, home invasions, frivolous lawsuits, and potential kidnappings that Forrest Fenn and his family had to face between 2010 and 2020. After producing a GPS-based solve that used homophones (for = four, to = two) and kangaroo words (done = one), they came up with a longitude and latitude that fell within the parks boundaries. But mostly what informed me was studying his words. Thank you for that. . Jonathan "Jack" Stuef, a 32-year-old medical student from Michigan, has come forward as the finder of Forrest Fenn's fabled hidden treasure. The end of the treasure hunt may finally be drawing to a close. He says he retrieved it June 6, which raises some questions. Over the past two years, all but one of the lawsuits have been dismissed. 3. private emails between Stuef and Fenn that occurred immediately after the treasure was found. Its not always easy being the finder, but its heartening to see how many great people are out there. Shiloh Forrest Old is a grandson of Forrest Fenn, the man who buried the treasure. And as an antiquities dealer with mountain experience, he would have seen a lot of old things and know how things survive in good shape (as well as the damages that can occur). treasure was exactly where Fenn originally left it. Privacy Policy. Address. The greatest value of his quotes lies in how they clarify the nature of the problem at hand and how one may go about solving it. If youre already well-versed in the story of the Fenn treasure, then skip to the next page break. Heading out the door? I do have a question, but first I wanted to sincerely express how much I enjoyed your YouTube video on Bias Confirmation. Forrest Fenn sits in his home in Santa Fe, N.M. March 22, 2013. Fenn had this conversation with Davis in 2020 after the treasure was found by Stuef. Finding this thing, achieving this will prove every naysayer wrong. CHEYENNE, Wyo. Q1 Are Forrest Fenns ashes at or are going to be at the treasure location? I searched for it for two years, and on June 6 of this year, I retrieved the treasure from the place I found it in Wyoming, the same place Forrest hid it 10 years ago. #1 Is there something in the poem or in the hints in the book that significantly narrows down the search area for the blaze once in the final area? And you get caught up in a lot of the drama, hanging on Fenns every word. The 2002 show called Push, Nevada and the book Mysterious Stranger by magician David Blaine are just two examples of Jacks attractions. Jack Stuef, a 32-year-old medical student at the time, found the treasure in 2020. 2. The decade-long search for Forrest Fenns treasure ended two years ago, but the hunt for answers has not. On May 4, judge Francis J. Mathew denied the governments motion to intervene in the case, saying that doing so would cause undue delay, and that the government has other avenueslike an injunction in federal courtif it wants to keep the location of the treasure a secret. And Stuefs first email reads like it was written by a committee of lawyers. He told Yellowstone National Parks chief ranger, Sarah Davis. Because I promised the finder I would not reveal who found it or where, I have remained mostly silent, Fenn writes. With a bronze chest and the lock appearing in good condition, why is the key steel/iron? (The affidavit doesnt specifically state that the treasure was in the park, just that the location is owned by the U.S. government and managed by the Department of the Interior. The Man Who Found Forrest Fenns Treasure,, four best theories on Fenns treasure location, MeatEater Land Access Initiative Donation, American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon. Jamie McCracken, a Floridian who believes Fenn moved the treasure four times to keep him from finding it, recently launched a lawsuit against the deceased antiquities dealer. In the summer of 2020, the decade-long Forrest Fenn treasure hunt ended in a tangled mess of conspiracy theories, wild accusations, and protracted legal proceedings. Department of Education. Many treasure searchers, adventure seekers, and interested parties have wondered who found Fenn's treasure since the "chest was found" in Wyoming announced in June of 2020. I havent been able to get to all of them, but Ive tried my best to get back to people when Ive had time. And it wasn't just because he was suddenly a millionaire. Some services are being offered online or by appointment. I didnt have any questions for you at first but I do have one now. But I actually dont think he expected it to get to the situation it became. Fenn made the announcement on his blog last weekend, saying that an adventurer from the East found the chest. But finder (or hired writer) Jack Stuef says he didnt solve the poem, he found it by figuring out the general area where Fenn wanted to die, then looked for 25 days until he found it. Cue the frivolous lawsuits. 4. Jack Stuef is the native of Michigan and medical school student who found Forrest Fenn's treasure chest in 2020 at an undisclosed location in Wyoming. At that time, you can make your decision on whether to keep it all, give it to me, subtract or add items, or whatever else you may decide..

Pass List Of Sobject From Lwc To Apex, Ohio License Plate Stickers 2022 Cost, Articles OTHER